Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Building our first house

I thought I should give my 2 cents every now and again on the blog, otherwise it might get a little one sided, well you know what they say, "there are generally three sides to every story: her side, your side and the truth!"

I will start off by saying I never imagined how many selections you have to make when building a house! Sure, I expected the normal stuff like the carpet and paint but what I wasn't expecting was the smaller details. Selecting bricks, colour of the grout between the bricks, is the grout to be flush against the bricks or a little groove in the grout? Type of roof tiles, colour of the roof tiles and the list just goes on and on and on.

It is a pretty hectic first month when you sign the contract. From week one to week four you need to have everything ready to go into a contract and all the bank papers have to be arranged so you can draw down on the loan when the builder needs more $$$.
I can easily see how people could get overwhelmed by it all, because if you don't go in to the selection place on the weekends before your appointment you would have to select everything in that one meeting when seeing it for the first time! They do tell you that you should go in and check it out before hand, but I imagine there would be a percentage of people who don't, (like I would have done, had Amy not had us in there every weekend trying to narrow down our selections!) then they would have to select everything when seeing it for the first time. Down the line those folks would most likely try to make changes which would either cause delays or can't be made which would cause a lot of frustration for the builders and the owners.
The one thing that does frustrate me is that the Porter Davis electronics division is not open on the weekends and there are SO many decisions to be made with wiring, plugs, switches, down lights, network points, speakers, etc. The most important decisions are the electrics (in my mind anyway) especially around my cinema room ;).

It's very exciting but at the same time its hard for me to picture it coming together. I thought Porter Davis would have some software that would show us what our colour selection would look like inside and outside the house, but now we have to visualise it ourselves. When you pick a colour and it is painted on a wall it could look totally different . I am not a very visual person so it is very very tough for me to imagine which I think frustrates Amy a little, but she does her best to try and find pictures online with the colours we have chosen even, she's a good wife really! :)

Anyway I hope I can keep this up to date and make at least one post every week.
When the building starts in October we will also upload photos of the different stages.

Over and Out
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment