Tuesday, March 1, 2011

and with the good, comes the bad



So I figure our build has been pretty awesome.. yeah it has.....that is until today.
It is not something completely bad, but it is something I am most definitely disappointed in.


Firstly though, lets go through the good things that have been happening and leave the bad things till last.


Since my last post quite a bit has been happening. 
Thursday-week ago Derek and I went down to look through the house again. It still looked pretty much the same as it had in my last post, but we had received the bill for the "lock-up" stage and we wanted to make any notes to talk to our SS about before we paid the bill. We had a look around and decided we would call our SS and arrange a walk through. Sweet.
Saturday lunchtime we were in the area so we decided to drive by again. To our surprise the house was a hive of activity! There were at least six guys going "hell for leather" putting up our plaster! 
We were shocked and amazed at the same time. The speed with which this was happening was a-maze-ing! In the 42 hours since our previous visit they had plastered the WHOLE house! Upstairs and downstairs! All 28 squares of it!
We were excited about it, but also a little disappointed that we had not had time to go on our walk through with the SS before the plastering was up.
The rooms are now definable and it looks BIG! We moved on from the disappointment of the plaster being up and just got plain old excited. The walls were in. The same walls that would now hold our memories, hear our whispers and see our joys and sadness's. That surely was something to to be pleased about.
Over the past week we have received our bi-fold doors to our alfresco area and the cornices have been installed, making each room look cleaner and more finished.


All in all happiness was all around us till yesterday, but more so this morning.
Yesterday, I received a call from the Construction Manager (our SS's boss). He left a message on my voicemail. I am thinking "Uh-Oh whats wrong"? As it turned out though it was not too scary-a phone call, our house was not going to fall down or anything to that effect. Mr. CM, we'll call him, was calling to let us know that our SS was leaving us and moving onto a new job in a higher role. Great for him! Not so great for us. We really liked him, as his boss called him, he was abit of a "gun" at his job. He has been a great guy and kept things really moving along with our build. He was not the greatest at calling and checking in, but whenever I called him he was open and honest and good at helping us to understand what the process was. So yes, we are sad about losing his hard working "gun" attitude, but we also wish him all the best in his next venture. So now for us, we are being looked after by Mr. CM. Being that he is the boss and sounds like a stand up guy on the phone, I have confidence that we will keep moving in the direction we have been going.
Now onto the disappointment of the day.
This morning we met with our SS, for the last time, to have a walk through and a chat about what is happening over the next while.
It was peachy keen for most of the visit. We asked questions and he answered them. 
We found that the stair builders are due in this week to put in our stair case, the scaffolding outside will be removed today or tomorrow, the front yard will be cleaned up and all the trash removed, the kitchen is being delivered over the next week or so and the guy who hangs all the doors will also be in. Our painter and tiler have both been booked, which is great because they are the guys our SS uses all the time and he tells us he has never had any issues with their work, very pleasing to hear that these are all pre-booked and come highly recommended.
We were talking about the brick cleaning on the second story and SS was telling us that had been done. So I asked the question, "how come the bricks around our bedroom window don't look like they have been cleaned?" "because they are due to be rendered" "ah, no I don't think so, only the portico and the lower story area around the study windows should be rendered"
"oh, well that is not what it says in your plans..."
Ok people, who wants to guess what is happening in my head right now???
A massive amount of swear words is what! 
So we get out our plans from his Ute, and he is right, according to the plans both sections are rendered! 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Way to dampen what was going so, so well. 
We discuss it for awhile with him. We tell him that we had to pick a colour for the moulding, which he tells us we do not have, although in the colour sheet it says there is moulding. We show him the picture of the facade we have chosen and paid for. I ask, can we just not render it? He says no we can't because the bricking is done differently under render. Boo. The end of the conversation is that we have to chase it up with our CSC and talk to her then let him know and he will make sure it will get fixed as much as he can before he finishes up on Thursday. So, I now need to find out; 
- have we paid for the moulding? If yes, lets get it put on. 
- Then can we change the colour of the second story render? If yes, great, but back to the colour wheel. If no, CRAP! I do not know what we are going to do. I don't think we want the whole front covered in "Congo Capture".
We paid for the "Ashmont" facade so you would imagine it would look like the picture you have picked it from, yes? I mean otherwise we would have chosen to render it all, right?
To make sense of what I am talking about see pic below:


As you can see, it will totally change the look of the house. Massive sad face. 
I am now waiting on a call from our CSC, so that we can discuss how to move forward from this and what will happen next.


On a brighter note, below are some photos of what the house looks like inside now. The part that we are currently happy with!
Looking from the Front Door through the house to the Theatre Room
The Kitchen area
Derek with Oscar and the view looking back towards the front door
The lounge
Our bi-fold doors, still yet to be stained

The bi-folds and you will notice the cornices are in
On this note I am going to sign off and sulk at my desk until our CSC calls me back and we can come up with a way to keep everyone, (somewhat) happy, fingers crossed.


Ax

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh Tradeees...(no offence Dan)
    I am still waiting for my pool to be finished. 4 weeks has become nearly 3 months...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon: yes.. but this time I don't actually think the Tradies are the ones at fault this time. Seems to me that it would be more like the people who draw the plans. And if you know Dan, do I know you and if I do can you let me know who you are so I can make sure I utilise your pool when its finished? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy that's shocking! How can they mess up your plans like that?? And now is your word against theirs! I really hope you can solve it ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was waiting for an update...:) Sorry to hear that it was not the update you were hoping to write. Things will all sort themselves out. Let me know what you hear from Mr. CM. (and let me know how your trip to Queensland was!) Skype soon? xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amz, I reckon you should be allowed to choose the colour of your render given the situation. Render is mighty expensive, so it might turn out to be a bonus if you can, maybe it will all come together beautifully? Will keep my fingers crossed for you.....

    ReplyDelete