Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The start of something new!

Hi All,

I never really thought I would be writing a blog. I am not much of an avid writer really, but I thought that this would be a good way of telling everybody how our new home is coming along and keeping you updated with the progresses, trials and tribulations of building our dream home...
I know some of you probably wont be that interested in reading all about it, but then I never thought I would be either till I was doing it myself! For others it will be interesting and hopefully informative..

So to recap on how this malarky got started...

Once back from Thailand with the wedding all over and done with and no projects on the go, I thought I would get us all caught up in a new project!
Amy - the girl with a never ending project!
No not really, although Dad did ask straight after the wedding what was next on my project list.. I answered "nothing, I am having a rest" - to which I am now eating humble pie!

We had decided to sell our Seaford home long before we actually put it on the market.
When we got home from Thailand we kept a bit of a watch on the market and decided it was ripe for selling.
So we took the plunge and sat down with a close family friend, Mike Scudds, a vendor advocate and sought his advice.
After having made the decision, it was time to go out and look at houses and see what was out there for us. We became dismayed at the prices in the areas we really wanted to live and what we would get for the money we would be spending. Nothing was perfect, everything we looked at needed something done to it or wasn't the layout or look we liked. We just wanted to buy something and pretty much move in and have it the way we wanted it exactly.

One of these days out I suggested to my wonderful husband to pop into Waterways, an estate not far from where we wanted to be, and have a look at the display homes there. And so it begun... the addiction to display homes and the seed of building our own "dream home" was planted!
From then on in it all happened very quickly! We sold the house, we bought land in Somerfield (a different estate from the first one we looked at, but still not too far away) and now this week we have settled on both.
In the last few weeks we have also decided on our builder, Porter Davis, and our home "The Cremorne 35" and have made our first down payment on that!
35 Squares of pure joy to plan, build and eventually clean!

I forgot to mention when exactly, that seed of building was cemented in my husbands mind. He was the Negative Nancy towards building originally, until he saw in a display home with a $15000 theatre room, complete with automatic sliding doors, automatic curtains, auto - lets just say everything was automatic! The arm was completed twisted, "Negative Nancy" went away and along came "lets-build-a-dream-home-Derek".

So my current task is to "design" - interior, exterior, bricks, render, mortar, tiles, cupboards, handles, splash back, paint... and the list goes on and on and on. Fun and quite frightening both at the same time!
Seeing as my husband is away this week, back in the motherland, I am assigned to task of finding/designing/researching out most of these things and having a portfolio for him to come home too and give the A-ok; without too many upgrades! God help me!

I have a couple of photos of our block of dirt so will try to work out how to post them and get them up on here soon!

Over and out for now
A

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, very proud to be the first follower on your blog. Loving it and looking forward to hours of reading!!!! love Sheree xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool blog amy. that was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy great stuff you're a nifty lil writer!
    Can't wait for the next one
    Jess

    ReplyDelete