Friday, May 6, 2011

On the home stretch to our new home..

We are getting seriously close now!

I am feeling the excitment brewing in me but also dread at moving and unpacking and cleaning!

This last month PD have been putting the finishing touches in like, door handles, bathroom fixtures, floors, carpets (now there is a story in that, I will come back to it), flyscreens, downpipes and the list goes on. It has really come together now and it is looking great although still not feeling like home to us yet.
It is quite a strange feeling really, we know it is ours, but it really does not feel like it is ours. I think it is because we have not seen our "stuff" in it or really anybodies "stuff" in it. So it has been hard to imagine a little bit. I am 100% sure that feeling will change the minute we have the keys in our hot little hands!

The carpet issue:

Last week after Easter, I popped over on my way to work one morning to check out what was happening and I found that there were tradies swarming over our house.. always a delight! We had the plumbers finishing fit offs and also the carpet layers in there laying the underlay. 
On my way out I noticed the rolls of carpet in the van. I had a look and thought.. "that is not our carpet, I hope they don't lay that!" I was going to say something to the fellas, but I didnt feel it was my place and I figured it might have been another PD house in the estate's job that they were going to go to after laying our underlay. So I went on my merry way to work and did not really think much else of it.
On Friday, Mr. CM called to talk to me and lock in a time to go and do pre-PCI inspection on the following Tuesday. As I was talking away to him on the phone I suddenly thought of the carpet and the conversation went something like this: me - "Oh by the way, what sort of colour is the carpet that has been laid?" Mr.CM - "ahh its a beige sort of colour, quite light, why?" me-"ahhh yeah that is not our carpet!" Mr. CM - "What?" me- "yeah we didnt order that, we ordered and dark brown/grey colour and one that is not cut pile as well" Mr. CM - " Oh sh*t! Well I will get on to the carpet people and get it sorted out."
Pretty funny really! We were just glad that all our paperwork says the correct things and we knew that we were not at fault! 

On Tuesday, we met with "B", a new SS starting with PD, as Mr. CM had double booked himself. At first I was a little annoyed about it, but then B really showed us he was very very good at his job. He picked up on things like thin paint work and bad brush strokes that we could not even see. I guess being new, he was pretty keen to impress, which was a bonus for us. We went over the house with a very fine toothed comb looking for defects and blemishes. We found quite a number of paint touch ups and a few other bits and pieces, but obviously, the major ones were the carpet balls up and a damp exterior wall. So not too bad over all, it took hours though! 
Mr. CM came when we were about half way through so that was good. We discussed the carpet issue again. Turns out that the guys had laid the carpet which had been ordered for a PD house being built further up the road from ours and the carpet people had mixed it all up. PD were happy that they were not at fault and so were we.
The carpet people then proceeded (through PD) to try and convince us to keep the carpet that had been laid and give us $1000 credit for their store! HA! What a joke! Especially considering we had already paid over $2k to upgrade ours and what the heck were we going to do with a store credit? No thanks, pull up your mistake and relay it correctly! Mr. CM and B thought it was ridiculous also, but they have to ask anyway!

So now the plan is that this week PD will have the BSS Independant Quality inspection, then we will arrange a PCI inspection (Practical Completion Inspection) with us. At this we will go over everything we made on the pre-pci inspection last week and make sure it has all been rectified. If we are happy we can settle and handover that day or we can make sure they get everything sorted then do settlement and handover a few days later!

It is hard believe we are so close! Last year when we started the whole charade it seemed so far away...but here we are nearly in our brand new home.. I like the sound of that!

2 comments:

  1. Let's hope it all goes smoothly from here for u :-)
    Uh oh about the carpet stuff up too! Wtf! I would have also insisted that it be changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I can't WAIT to see pictures of the "final product." So very exciting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete