Monday, May 23, 2011

The end is nigh..

This week will hopefully, fingers and toes crossed, see the end of the build. The plan on Thursday is to go and do our final inspection, then head to the office where we will sign over the house into our names, handover the final cheque and then we get our keys!
It is an exciting time for us, albeit strangely surreal and slightly stressful.
I feel completely under prepared and am battling with that fact that I really will miss living with Mum and Dad.  
It is like time has flown by and left us a little behind, leaving us running to catch up. 
I have arranged for time off work to get the new house sorted. I have the job of arranging to have certain things put in like the driveway, bath rails and other handyman type things. 
We have had a few quotes done for driveways, thus leaving our jaws on the floor with the cost of a few patches of concrete! Unbelievable! I really never thought I would pay over $5k for concrete.. and that is a good price around town.


This weekend was partly spent trying to pack up mum and dads and clear out the mounds of crap we have managed to accumulate in the 10 short months we have lived there. It is safe to say I did not get very far. I managed to throw out some shoes and magazines, not exactly overhaul I had hoped for. I had better crack the whip on myself in the next few evenings and really make a go of it.
There is so much to be done, I am at a loss of where to start so I am trying to just fly with it and get it done slowly and surely. I should win the race that way, or so the story goes.


There are things that I am greatly looking forward to in our new home;

  • Cooking and baking in my lovely new kitchen
  • Entertaining friends and family
  • Curling up in front of the fireplace with a good book and a glass of wine (that is when the fireplace resumes it's spot back on the priority short list, it is off at the moment due to concrete taking all priority positions)
  • Watching a film with my husband in his Theatre room (status of this is also currently backburner-ed for now) 
  • Enjoying our new neighbours on our street and getting to know them.
  • Having guests come to stay (Hint hint international/interstate friends and family!)
  • Getting the house to the way we want it to be. This is a long long long term goal, but I still need to put it here, because I need to keep my eye firmly on this prize. 
People always tell us that they have been working on their houses for the entire time they have had them. My wish, although extremely naive and unrealistic, is to get it done as soon as possibly manageable. 
Clearly my reality is further from the reality of reality, but I have to set myself that goal or else we will be one the same as everybody else with unfinished houses. Obviously it will take time and money, there will be other hurdles to jump through and financial setbacks to make it difficult for us, but we will work away at it and hopefully, sooner rather than later, it will be done.

When that day comes I will be happily satisfied for 10 minutes then set about getting ready to redesign and start over again. Thus in turn possibly driving my husband to the brink of insanity or possible divorce. 
Hopefully just insanity. 


Peace out xx


P.S No pics this week sorry, I have not been able to take any lately. Next time I will have some moved in ones which will be way more exciting!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats and good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting for u both :/) congratulations on your new home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog Ames! You're such a positive girl and I am very sure your dreams (all of them) will come true! All the best and please pass on my congratulations to your hubby as well. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Ames as someone who has just survived a rushed and not very well planned move - I can assure you that it will all happen - in style knowing you.
    I said exactly the same thing about my houe - you know the one I just finished and sold - but I can't tell you how much I wish I'd done it sooner so WE could enjoy it for the time we were there. You go girl -keep your eyes on the prize!!
    PS Is it only interstate and international guests that can come for a holiday with the fireplace and the media room? What about burnt out inner-city refugees?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delamy - you are almost there. It will be so exciting. We are in the same position - itching to get into our place, knowing that we still have a lot to do and that it will come with time and money. BUT, the point is that it will be your goal to make your home the way you want it as soon as possible so that you can enjoy every minute of it. Life is too short not to focus on that goal. We are feeling the exact same way. You are not alone and you are very loved! Chomping at the bit to see pictures. xxoo

    ReplyDelete